Monday, May 6, 2013

My First Time Hosting a Sleepover (Videos Included)

So, it worked out that I'm writing this blog about having my nephew over for his first sleepover at our house directly after my recent piece about having a third kid. It was like we wanted to test the waters and see how it would feel to be outnumbered. Here's how it went...

 Giving them cupcakes got them to sit. But it backfired later.

Before I even go into the night, I'll preface this by saying that my five-year-old nephew Tyler is seemingly tireless. As in, he doesn't tire. He's a terrific kid and Antonio worships him, but I had some concern that we just wouldn't be able to keep up and that we'd end up leaving one of our own sons babbling in our wake as we hopelessly chased after him. Well, that sort of happened. But it was me babbling in everyone else's wake.

No sooner had Tyler walked in the door when he and Antonio had set up their sleeping bags, side by side, both boys giggling with glee. It was as adorable as it was menacingly frightening. Over the course of the next several hours, I played the role of peacemaker (Antonio and Tyler argued and made up about 17 times), monster (apparently, I make a good monster for children in that I get into character, am easy to run away from, and my glasses make me completely nonthreatening), and finally, bedtime storyteller. Here's a little taste of what putting these boys to bed was like, as they laid next to each other (in sleeping bags) in Antonio's bed...

(Antonio had just mentioned his bedside toy clock and how accurate it was, to which Tyler doubted its accuracy)

Video: Talking in the dark

This conversation went on for at least another 45 minutes, which also involved Tyler's improvised version of "Rock a Bye Baby" that included the lyrics, "You're cuter than me. I love you up in the tree." I'm pleased someone in the family has inherited my penchant for songwriting.

Naturally, after eating cupcakes, popcorn, watching a movie, riding bikes, punching me in the back, they were absolutely wired and stayed up pretty late. I did my best to pretend I was sleeping, but they saw right through it. In fact, they just laughed at me. I'm used to that. Especially from children who I'm supposed to be in charge of.

Both boys were up at 6:01 am the next morning. And I finally understood how my parents felt when my sister and I would relentlessly pester them on Christmas morning at a comparable time to open presents. As adults we realize that doing anything prior to 7:30 am is for institutionalized crazy people. Or exuberant children. I fall into neither of those categories.

The next morning, at 9:00 am (that's eastern time, by the way), Antonio's weekly soccer practice started. Considering the festivities of the night before, Antonio got approximately three hours less sleep than he normally does. So you can imagine his ambition to participate in a sport early the next morning was about as strong for him as it was for me. He stood idly by as other kids scampered past him, much like my Black Lab did after it had been spayed. After a while, even the coaches gave up on him. But not Tyler. He had some words of encouragement to get Antonio motivated...kinda.

Video: Tyler motivates Antonio to play soccer

Danny Tanner would be proud.

So, with about ten minutes left in practice, Antonio just started walking to the car, like he was a bad-guy wrestler leaving mid-match. It was the first time in my life that I was happy to see him give up on something.

After both boys peed in the emergency potty we keep in the car, we met Sonia and Nate for a late breakfast, before dropping Tyler off where he immediately left for hockey practice. Two days later, I still don't think he's stopped to sit for a minute. I've scheduled an appointment at the local spa.

If you enjoyed this, please share.

Thanks for reading.

-Joe DeProspero
jdeprospero@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter here.





No comments:

Post a Comment